Tuesday, June 9, 2009

She said "I'd like to try a garden this summer." He said, "I'll build you a box!"

The first weekend in May we went up north for the weekend. Had a great weekend with the cousins and wives-Krista, Sara and I got to talking about gardening. I thought that I'd like to try out my green thumb-see if I have one actually. So on the way home I asked Mark what he thought? I was just thinking about tilling up part of the side yard (small) and seeing what happens. Mark said, "I'll build you a garden box." Me thinking it would be 4 boards-4 nails (maybe 8) said "Great! " Thinking this won't take too long...We got home around 5 on Sunday night and I easily had a garden box. All I needed to do was get some dirt! Oh, no - the box wasn't even close to being completed. Over the next three weekends we trimmed the box, puddied the nail holes, sanded, primed and painted the box. Then it was time for the welder! Out of spare steel we had lying around Mark built a cage for our garden box to keep out all the little and big critter's we have around here. Finally, the garden box was complete-I planted the garden on Memorial Day-Tomatoes, Pepper's, Lettuce, Snap Peas, Cucumbers, Green Beans, Herbs and a Jalepeno Pepper plant. Mark's comment, "This was a lot bigger project than what I had anticipated-you better really like to garden." My thought, "If I wasn't meant to garden before-I better be now!"

No comments: